From:
"Centner, Mary [USA]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Centner, Mary [USA]
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:10:07 +0000
Something I learned recently about brainstorming was that if everybody takes five minutes individually to think up and write down a few ideas, then they will feel more confident of their ideas when the group sharing and discussing part happens.

Forbes ran an article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/nataliepeace/2012/04/09/why-most-brainstorming-sessions-are-useless/) in 2012 that said traditional brainstorming sessions are rarely the best way to ensure innovation; the author shared a few ground rules she likes to follow to make sure her brainstorming sessions are effective:

  *   Provide strong leadership and a framework to follow. Keeping it free-flowing and without rules might sound good, but that is what allows the loudest voices in the room to hold court and squeeze out those who are shy, that may have brilliant ideas which never get heard. (For excellent examples of this principle at work, watch any episode of ‘The Celebrity Apprentice’.)
  *   Give everyone time to themselves to think, and then come together with ideas to share. Introverts typically need time alone to get their creative juices flowing, and given the chance, they often come up with amazing solutions on their own (whereas extroverts may actually be more creative by feeding on the energy of a group).
  *   Make it mandatory for everyone to contribute ideas. There shouldn’t be any effort to shoot down ideas initially–create a safe space to share before everyone starts thinking critically.
  *   Make it a rule that if you are going to shoot down an idea, you need to come up with an alternative.