Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:41:16 -0700
From:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
To: Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
While you can't prepare for the exact challenge your team will be given, you can
(and imho, should) practice some team exercises before the tournament. We do
ours as beginning centering exercises.

  You might tell the kids to line up a certain way- by eye color, mother's age,
their house or apt. number- things were they learn something about each other.
Any questions about specifics should be answered with,  "Work as a team to
discuss that question's answer."  Another great exercise- and my favorite- is
the counting game. Get your team to sit in a circle and count up. (sounds easy,
but it's harder than it appears.)  The rules are:
 No one can say more than 1 number in a row- so one person can't say "1,2,3,4,
etc." There can't be an order, or anyone directing people to speak.  The last
rule, and the reason you will start over at 1 again and again is:  You start
over every time two people say the same number at the same time, or if someone
loses count.  Then you see how high you get.  My young teams often take several
times to get past 9.  My older teams (12+) can usually get to 12-14 after the
first couple of trys.

      The object of the game is to learn to trust your team mates.  It also
teaches patience in the alpha dogs and helps the quieter kids have a chance, and
room, to participate fully.

Good luck,
Brandy