From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:09:13 -0400
Sonya,

The latest additions to the Q&A page added a clarification on that:

RULING 15 (temporary*) - First Ice Segment
When placing your Research Area model onto the mat, there's no spec
on which end to place first for the same reason you wouldn't need to
tell a pair of movers which end of your couch to place down
first---As long as it's where it belongs, it doesn't matter.

http://firstlegoleague.org/community/fll/gameblog.aspx

Cheers,
Mike