From:
Jamie Diamond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jamie Diamond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:47:12 -0400
This might be a fun time for your team to look at the properties of worm
drives.  A unique property of worm drives is that the worm screw can turn
the gear but the gear can't turn the worm screw.  So it can provide a self
locking mechanism where the motor can drive the mechanism but the mechanism
can never drive the motor.

You can put the gears together yourself or you can use a gearbox like
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6588 to hold the gears together
in a way where they can't skip.  My kids used this gearbox the last two
years to control an arm mechanism on their robot.  Like anything else there
are pros and cons but it might be a nice mechanical engineering option for
your kids to add to their mental toolbox.

Best Regards,
Jamie Diamond