Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2019 18:51:23 -0400
From:
VA-DC FLL Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
1. The statement in the CIty Shaper Challenge document is about as concise
as you can get:

In the Innovation Project, your team will:

• Identify a problem with a building or public space in your community.
• Design a solution.
• Share your solution with others and then refine it.

At official events, your team will present your Project, including the
problem, your solution, and how you shared it, in a 5-minute presentation.

  You can look at your Team Meeting Guide, the Engineering Notebook, and
the rubrics to get a better idea of what the judges will be looking for.
Overall, this is a very open-ended Innovation Project.

2.  AV Aids

   - Your team's project presentation should fit within a 5-minute
   timeframe, including set-up time.
   - The project presentation must be a live presentation that includes all
   team members.
   - My recommendations for A/V aids are that your team plans to be totally
   self-sufficient.  When I judge the Innovation Project, I prepare the room
   by making sure that there is a space available for the team, I look for a
   flat (or mostly flat) surface that the team can put stuff on, and if there
   are a couple of chairs available, I move them near the presentation area.
   I don't look for electrical outlets or screens or anything like that.
   - My experience with A/V items in judging sessions is that it is hard to
   make any electronic visual items easily visible to both the judges and the
   team/presenter.  Most FLL team members don't have the skills to use an
   electronic visual aid and talk to the judges instead of the screen.  This
   tends to make those presentations less engaging and interesting.  On the
   other hand, I have seen a few presentations that used short video clips or
   sound effects as part of a very creative presentation.

This is my 2 cents worth, but my role is to talk about the Robot Game, and
not judging.

Steve