VADCJRFLL-L Archives

August 2013

VADCJRFLL-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Sabrina Hsu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sabrina Hsu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:05:31 -0700
Same here. My daughter had interest so I found 3 other friends of hers who were also interested and formed a team.  You only have to have minimum of 2 children (and max of 6 children) to form a JrFLL team, so forming a team is rather easy to do.

If you decide to form a team of your own, the rest of planning is also not too difficult to do.  Once you have a team and register/pay your team registration ($50), you have a full access to the season's challenge and coach support materials online which you can download and print.  The documents will walk you through the challenge statement, how to manage and hold team meetings (even has sample 6~8 wk program/schedule I believe that you can just follow), coaching guide, etc.

You may want to buy the JrFLL lego set (simple machines and or WeDo Robotics) which can be purchased via your team registration page, but it is not mandatory that you use these sets; your team can use any of your own Legos as well.  The challenge statement will provide details on the how-to's and the requirements of the Show-and-Tell Posterboard and the accompanying 3-D Lego model that are to be made by the team.  Once the team has their project complete, you can find a JrFLL Expo in your area to attend, where the team members will present their project for review as well as expo exhibition.  All teams will be recognized with certificates and or medals/trophies (JrFLL is non-competitive for the 6-9 yr olds, while FLL is tournament based for the older kids).

Depending on how deeply you want to delve into the challenge project with your children will determine the amount of time and resources you will end up spending actually doing JrFLL.  Some say a coach could run a season with a single team with just 1-2 hours per week over 8-10 week commitment.  As a rookie team coach last year, I found that my time commitment was a little bit more than this.  However, if you have a genuine interest in doing this, you will find that your participation and time spent with the kids are worthwhile and rather, quite rewarding.  You will also find that there are plenty of resources available to you via the FIRST websites - both the national as well as the local ones (such as this listserve) - in addition to YouTube, Google search, etc.  Just reach out and ask :)

Best wishes to you.

Sabrina Hsu
JrFLL coach, Lego Four - 2012 season

Sent from my iPhone

When my son showed interest I started a group.  We went to the PTO and got the funding.