FEAST-L Archives

March 2010

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Lee, Emily" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee, Emily
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:16:56 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd make a last announcement for our Symposium.
In a little over a week, Cal State Fullerton is hosting our annual  Philosophy Symposium.  We have an amazing line up of speakers!  All are welcome!  It's free and open to the public!

The 40th Annual California State University at Fullerton Philosophy Symposium

"Phenomenology, Embodiment, and Race"

THURSDAY April 8th
TSU Pavilions A&B

8:30 am
Reception

9:00–9:15
Welcome Address

9:15–10:45
“White Microtomy and Black Volatility: Where is my Body?”
George Yancy, Duquesne University

11:00–12:30
“Race Assimilation and Self-Evaluative Emotions”
David Kim, University of San Francisco

12:30–2:00
Lunch Break

2:00–3:30
“The Particularities of Race/Gender and the Philosopher's Body”
Donna-Dale Marcano

3:45–5:15
“Whiteness in a Rainbow Society”
Linda Martin Alcoff, Hunter College, CUNY

FRIDAY, April 9th
TITAN Theater

8:30 am
Refreshments

9:00–10:15
Alumni Session
Michael Konopisos, Graduate of 2009,
     “Everybody is a Body:  Uniting Fragmented Experiences of the  Self with Merleau-Ponty’s Notion of Embodiment”
Luis Manuel Magallon Garcia, Graduate of 2008,
     “De-Class-ifying the Other:  Ethics after the Haiti and Chile Earthquakes”

10:30–12:00
“Pride and Prejudice: Ambiguous Racial, Religious, Ethnic Identities of Jewish Bodies”
Gail Weiss, The George Washington University

12:00–2:00
Lunch Break

2:00–3:30
“Hometactics: On Belonging and Becoming”
Mariana Ortega, John Carroll University

3:45–5:15
“Materializing Race”
Charles Mills, Northwestern University

6:00 pm–?
Post-Symposium Party
All are welcome!

Sponsored by:
California State University Fullerton’s Department of Philosophy, Vice President of Academic Affairs, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Women's Studies Department, Division of Politics, Administration and Justice, Vice President for Student Affairs, Inter Club Council, Philosophy Club, and the Philosophy Alumni Club.

Faculty Organizer: Emily S. Lee

Student Organizing Committee: Pamela Chui, Hillary Devenanzio, Sandra Woloschuk, Angela Dibelka

Alumni Symposium Organizing Committee: Anjali Nath, Eliza Ebro, Diane Anderson, Phil McWilliams, Janet Horrigan, Rob Attride, Darwin Smith, Matt Romain, Shari Starrett (Faculty Adviser)

Location:
The Symposium takes place on the campus of California State University, Fullerton. All session are held in the Titan Student Union and are free and open to the public.

Emily S. Lee, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Executive Secretary, Pacific SWIP
Department of Philosophy