TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

August 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2018 03:22:11 -0600
Jamie:

Perhaps I am completely mistaken and thanks for this detailed
"rebuttal" . . . <g>

However, I learned a long time ago that most of what most people talk
about is deliberately superficial and, therefore, not worth talking
about.  No, I'm really not any good at a cocktail party.  As best I
can tell, this is a result of what Gregg calls his "Justification
Hypothesis" and what others like Bob Trivers (who I know) call
"self-deception."

This is what the Gestaltists in the 1920s/30s called "figure" and it
stems from the need to avoid dealing with reality in terms of its
"ground."  As a result, I tend to ask *why* someone says what they say
(i.e. what "caused" this to happen for them and others), rather than
following them down their argumentative rabbit-holes.  Throughout my
career, the story-behind-the-story has been my goal (and I'm sticking
with it.)

I personally know Kevin Kelly and Ray Kurweil and many people who have
been involved with Teilhard de Chardin's ideas (plus Lyndon LaRouche
and many others pursuing these illusions.)  I have been dealing with
them for many decades.  Perhaps I have mistaken what they are up-to
but at least in my case that mistake is the result of my direct
experience with those involved.

> Besides, evolution got rid of most hominid species and will likely
> get rid of most humans as well. It's just evolution.

The fantasy of "upgrading" humanity to another species (and blaming
"evolution") -- as promoted by David Brin (who I know as well) -- is
also reflected in the "movement" called "Post-Humanism," a conference
about which I participated in a couple months ago at NYU.  This is
*not* where we are heading and what I am doing here is trying to warn
Gregg &al about its increasingly common pitfalls. This is "virtual
reality" and it comes from the distortions of our perceptions caused
by the previous paradigm.  We don't need to do that anymore, despite
what Hollywood says.

Yes, these *fantasies* have a cause.  It is not the same cause as the
"Fifth Joint Point," although I understand why there is confusion on
the matter -- which is why I have been suggesting that causality is
central to this investigation (and, therefore, using Aristotle instead
of Plato as the "starting point.")  What Gregg is talking about is
*formal* cause (driven by new technologies); what Teilhard &al are
talking about is *final* cause and the "complexity" types are dealing
with is a twisted version of *material* cause.  As a result, they do
not agree.

> Kevin Kelly's version of the Singularity is really the emergence of
> a global collective intelligence that's actually very similar to
> Gregg's Global Justification System.

There will be no "global system" of any sort (and, don't be fooled,
Kevin is just talking about the 2nd Coming and humans becoming
"angels.")  The Chinese will make sure of that.  I have been deeply
involved with their "system" for 20+ years and it *cannot* be "merged"
with the West.  100% not going to happen.  Billions of people will
make sure of that.

As a result, what we are talking about hereabouts is the West, not the
East. And, the "decline" of the West, as announced by Spengler 100
years ago, while we're at it. You can draw those boundaries around the
cultures that teach their children the alphabet.  Since, as Gregg
correctly asserts, Culture is based on "language," the difference
between alphabetic and ideo/pictographic written language technologies
is fundamental to how Culture is formed and, indeed, has been for
2000+ years.  Totally different approaches to order and chaos in the
East and the West.

> Teilhard's noosphere and Omega point are based on his view that
> evolution proceeds towards greater complexity.

No, that is *neither* Teilhard's nor Gregg's view.  "Complexity" has
nothing to do with Teilhard (who was simply renaming the 2nd Coming
for a Jesuit audience) -- in fact the modern notion of "complexity"
wasn't even formulated when he wrote those texts.  Furthermore, Gregg
has fundamentally distinguished what he is doing by introducing
"dimensions of complexity," not "greater complexity." No "complexity
theorist" agrees with what Gregg has done (which is more akin to
LaRouche and his focus on Cantor's "transfinites.")

This is exactly the sort of confusion that I have been at pains to
hope to avoid.  Thank you for helping us to sort all this out . . . !!

Mark