COE-TEACHER-EDUCATION-UNIT-L Archives

July 2023

COE-TEACHER-EDUCATION-UNIT-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Teacher-Ed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teacher-Ed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:37:42 +0000
Happy Friday and Happy Summer!

Please join me in welcoming many wonderful new members of the Education Support Center that are here to support our program faculty, staff, and students:

We have several new members to support for our Teacher Education Admissions, Recruitment and Advising Team!

  *   Morgan Widelo just began in the ESC on July 10th as our new Education Support Assistant.

     *   Morgan's primary responsibilities will include office and fiscal management for the ESC, as well as managing the [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> email account and admissions into teacher education.
     *   Morgan is a JMU elementary education MAT alum and she taught for a couple of years at Westwood Hills ES in Waynesboro City.

  *   Jessica Lewellen began in the ESC on July 3rd as our new Advising and Recruitment Support Technician.

     *   Jessica's primary responsibilities will be advising for COE programs, beginning with the HRD minor, as well as supporting recruitment activities for teacher education and COE programs.
     *   Jessica is a JMU secondary mathematics MAT alum and she most recently taught math for 17 years at Spotswood HS in Rockingham County.

We have an all new Field Experience Team!

  *   Emily Stewart just began in the ESC on July 12th as our new Coordinator of Field Experiences.

     *   As a new faculty member, Emily will take the lead in coordinating our practicum and student teaching field placements and will support our school based partnerships and programs in successful field experiences!
     *   Many of you may know Emily, as she most recently served as a Program Support Technician for the Middle, Secondary, and Math Education Department prior to beginning in the Education Support Center. Emily has served in many teaching roles in multiple states, but most recently for several years in Harrisonburg at both Bluestone Elementary and Skyline Middle School for several years before transitioning to JMU.

  *   Susan Sites began on June 5th as our new Field Experiences Support Assistant.

     *   Susan's primary responsibilities will be related to the many facets of data management for field experiences.
     *   Susan is a JMU early childhood education alum and most recently taught for 16 years at Riverheads ES in Augusta County and before that she taught in both Harrisonburg City and Shenandoah County schools.

  *   Laurissa Kennedy began on June 21st as our new Field Experience Support Technician.

     *   Laurissa's primary responsibilities will be related to fiscal management of our field experience budget, including cooperating teacher honorarium and supporting the hiring of University Supervisors for COE student teachers, as well as field experience mileage.
     *   Laurissa is a JMU elementary education MAT alum and most recently taught for 6 years at Bluestone Elementary School in Harrisonburg City and before that she taught in Rockingham County.

These new team members will join our existing ESC team - Reilly Zwanzig, Hannah Smith, Annette Fornadel, and Amber Loyacano and our amazing graduate and student assistants in providing excellent service as a One-Stop-Shop for teacher education advising, admissions, field experience, and licensure.  We are so excited to have such a great team - please come by and visit when you are in Memorial!

Best,
Dara

Dara Hall, PhD
Executive Director of Teacher Education and Student Success
Education Support Center
JMU College of Education
540-568-2996