FEAST-L Archives

October 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:56:23 -0400
  Dear FEAST Members – I would like to put together
  a workshop proposal for the FEAST 2009 conference on
  “Feminism in the Classroom.”  This is a call for
  workshop panel participants.

  Ideally we would have panel members who have a
  diversity of experience bringing feminism into the
  *undergraduate or graduate* classroom, including:
  teaching feminism in ‘regular’ philosophy
  classes, designing and implementing a
  feminist-friendly philosophy curriculum, or leading
  feminist-inspired initiatives on campus that bring
  philosophy to ‘the street.’   (It might be
  fruitful to have a member of the panel that can
  voice his or her hesitations regarding teaching
  feminism, as well.)

  Some opening questions the workshop might address
  include:

  -Should feminism be incorporated into every course?

  -What are the self-, departmental-, or
  administrative-pressures against feminism in the
  classroom?  How to combat these pressures?

  -What sorts of pedagogical approaches or activities
  are feminist at heart?  Ideas for translating those
  philosophical commitments into action in the
  classroom?  Specific ideas for lesson plans?

  -What is the best response to students who are
  hostile to feminism?  To students who don't feel
  comfortable discussing feminism?  To students who
  only want to discuss personal experiences without
  making connections to philosophy or feminist theory?

  -What can be done to promote feminism at the
  (undergraduate or graduate) program level?

  -What does feminism’s recognition of multiple and
  intersecting forms of oppression (such as sexual,
  gender, race, and ability oppressions) mean for
  feminism in the classroom today?

  If you are interested in forming this workshop
  proposal, please send me an email off-list
  describing your interest by November 8 or so.

  Thanks - Lisa

Lisa Cassidy, Ph.D.
Treasurer, Eastern Society for Women in Philosophy
Associate Professor of Philosophy
American and International Studies
Ramapo College of New Jersey
505 Ramapo Valley Road
Mahwah, NJ 07430
PHONE 201-684-7416
FAX 201-684-7973
OFFICE B230
OFFICE HOURS FALL 08:
Tuesday 2-3 PM and Wednesday 2:30-3:30 PM or by appointment
website: http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~lcassidy/