FEAST-L Archives

April 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Naomi Scheman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Naomi Scheman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:41:19 -0500
along these lines, Ladelle McWhorter's Racism & Sexual Oppression in
Anglo-America is a very thoughtful examination of these questions.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Cathy Hannabach <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Kim--
>
> There is a lot of great of work on the violence of analogies in queer of
> color critique and woman of color feminism (this is a key theme in both of
> these fields). Analogy has been long critiqued for its failure to account
> for the mutual constitution of categories and practices of difference.
> Intersectionality, queer of color critique, and woman of color feminism
> have all been theorized as offering precisely what the violence of analogy
> erases.
>
> Some places to start:
>
> Rod Ferguson. *Aberrations in Black: Toward a Queer of Color Critique*.
> Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2003.
>
> Jasbir Puar. *Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times*.
> Durham: Duke University Press, 2007.
>
> Anjali Arondekar. "Border/Line Sex: Queer Postcolonialities, or How Race
> Matters Outside the United States." *interventions* 7.2 (2005): 236-50.
>
> Siobhan Somerville. "Queer Loving." *GLQ* 11.3 (2005): 335-70.
>
> David Eng. *The Feeling of Kinship: Queer Liberalism and the
> Racialization of Intimacy.* Durham: Duke University Press, 2010.
>

> Hope this helps!
>
> Cathy
>
> Cathy Hannabach
> Visiting Lecturer, Women's Studies
> University of Pittsburgh
>

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Kim Leighton <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>

>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a few resources for me
>> on the ethics of analogies.  I'm currently writing about how critics of
>> gamete donation often make strong use of an analogy to adoption in order to
>> draw out the moral issues they believe are salient.  I'm critical of this
>> analogy for a number of reasons that extend beyond the issue of  aptness.
>> Are there any good papers that consider how analogies (both in their making
>> and in their uptake) can appropriate and/or misrecognize the experience of
>> a group?  I'm also struggling with what terminology to use to describe what
>> I find un-ethical about this analogy's use in terms of both what it assumes
>> or relies upon and what it seems to accomplish/establish through its use.
>> I'm not sure what to call the kind of reinscription I see at the heart of
>> the analogy and its use.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance!  I know it's a horribly busy time
>> of year, so ANY quick reference would be appreciated.  You can reach me via
>> my personal [log in to unmask] I'll happily post a list of
>> references to the group should I be able to gather one.
>>
>> Warmest wishes,
>> Kim
>>
>> --
>> Kimberly J. Leighton, PhD
>> Assistant Professor
>> Department of Philosophy and Religion
>> American University
>> 121 Battelle Tompkins
>> 4400 Massachusetts Avenue
>> Washington, DC 20016
> [...]

Professor of Philosophy and Gender, Women, & Sexuality Studies,
Affiliate faculty, Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change
(ICGC)
University of Minnesota
Philosophy Department--271 19th Ave. S., Minneapolis MN 55455
**Guest researcher, Umeå Centre for Gender Studies, Umeå, Sweden