FEAST-L Archives

April 2022

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Shay Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shay Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:22:56 -0400
*FEAST*

*Clearwater Beach, Florida October 6-9, 2022*

*The Politics of Self-Care **in an Unjust World*

*-- CALL FOR EXTENDED ABSTRACTS --*

*Submission deadline: *

*May 31, 2022*

*Keynote Speakers TBS*

   1. *Featured FEAST Session: *This year we will celebrate the work of *bell
   hooks*.

*This Year’s Theme*

We offer the following terms as generative areas for reflection for
feminist ethics, social theory, and healing practioners:

*Self-Care*

Self-care is a healthy, restorative, self-respecting, and affirming
practice.  It is primarily an intentional act of grounding, establishing
safety, and building protective boundaries to grow and live a full human
life. As Audre Lorde says, these are acts of political warfare.  Many
depictions and hashtags portray self-care as an individualist act, one that
often requires the acquisition of material goods and indulgent services.  This
requires not only time, but money.  Acts of self-care are prompted as
luxuries.  However, due to the inherent political nature of self-care, it
is communal.  It is radical.  It is self-love. It is social care.  Given
this, what ethical boundaries should be in place when we engage in
self-care practices?  How should our cognitive states and epistemic framing
towards self-care shift to more fully actualize the political radical
nature Lorde has in mind?  What sorts of ethical, political, and epistemic
questions arise when we practice self-care as a mode of feminist knowledge
production and distribution? How do disciplinary demarcations and
boundaries direct epistemic attention to “care” in some ways and not
others? What are some examples of productive self-care practices that
provide means of disruption, intervention, and resistance?

*Transformative Justice*

Transformative Justice (TJ) is a political framework and approach for
responding to violence, harm and abuse. At its most basic, it seeks to
respond to violence without creating more violence and/or engaging in harm
reduction to lessen the violence. TJ can be thought of as a way of “making
things right,” getting in “right relation,” or creating justice together.
Transformative justice responses and interventions 1) do not rely on the
state (e.g. police, prisons, the criminal legal system, I.C.E., foster care
system (though some TJ responses do rely on or incorporate social services
like counseling);  2) do not reinforce or perpetuate violence such as
oppressive norms or vigilantism; and most importantly, 3) actively
cultivate the things we know prevent violence such as healing,
accountability, resilience, and safety for all involved.

Imagine practices of self and community care that prevent violence, hold
perpetrators accountable, and enable possibilities for survivors beyond
mere survival. Sustainable practices that do not depend on overwork or
fetishize exhaustion. This is one element of abolitionist visioning. These
practices heal and care for all kinds of selves, not only individual humans
but relationships and relational networks as well.

*Communal healing*

How we navigate and negotiate our relations with others seems to evoke
questions about healing in more than one sense of the term. As beings who
live interdependently and who err, we are sometimes generous with others
despite their failings and at other times we ourselves may be received with
a generosity that is not deserved. How ought we to think about this sort of
communal healing when relations are already fraught due to axes of
dominance and oppression? For example, who is afforded “healing” and who is
not? In a different vein, as feminists we are often trying to occupy spaces
in which we are not welcome and to create possibilities that current
regimes relentlessly work against. How can communal healing be an act of
resistance to oppression? What does “communal healing” do? And when ought
it to be rejected?

The FEAST program committee seeks papers that engage self-care thinking on
these and other issues including:

●      Overlaps and interactions between ethics, politics, and epistemology

●      The materiality of caring for oneself

●      Ongoing disagreements in feminist philosophy concerning “care” and
“caring for others” including:

○      Trauma Informed Healing

○      Calling out “triggers”/ Trigger-culture

○      Mainstreamed "Self-Care"

○      The invisibility of BIPOC’s pain/fatigue

○      The politics of rage, anger, and stress

○      Survivor vs Healing discourse

●      Where "early" feminist ethics (i.e., care ethics) has led us and
where we should go from here

●      Relations (ethical/political/epistemic) among differently
non-dominantly situated persons

●      Epistemic hurdles, but also epistemic gateways, for thinking
self-care beyond the academy (as practitioners) and beyond praxis, as on
particular problems, for example:

○      Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence

○      Disability/Disabling Institutions and Practices

○      Colonization, Imperialism, and Globalization

○      Speaking for, about, and/or with

●      Grappling with the ways in which vulnerability and privilege can
intertwine

●      Dance/Movement

●      Platforms collecting racial trauma in academic spaces, i.e.,
#BlackintheIvory, #indigenousacademia, #whydiasbledpeopledropout

●      Work/Life Balance

●      Racial Stress and Workplace-related trauma

●      The materiality of caring for oneself

●      Economic accessibility to self-care

●      (Re)conceiving conceptions of self-care

●      Public/Private self-care

●      Performative self-care

●      Caring for oneself while caring for others

●      Co-optation of self-care tactics

●      Disability justice and accessibility

●      Self-care during a pandemic

●      Self-Love and boundary setting

●      Institutional responsibility and responses to Care

●      Loneliness and Social Isolation

●     Political activism and social justice work - tuning in and tapping out

●      Self-Care in Non-Nuclear Familial Structures

*SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS*

Please send your submission, in one document (a Word file, please, so that
abstracts can be posted), to [log in to unmask] by May 31, 2022.
In the body of the email message, please include:

●      1) your full paper, panel or workshop title;

●      2) your name;

●      3) your institutional affiliation; and

●      4) your email address.

All submissions will be anonymously reviewed.

*Individual Papers *

*Please submit an extended abstract (1000-1250 words),* along with a
*preliminary
bibliography,* for anonymous review. Your document should include: paper
title, your extended abstract, and bibliography, with no identifying
information. The word count (max. 1250 not including bibliography) should
appear on the top of the first page of your submission.

*Panels*

Please clearly mark your submission as a panel submission both in the body
of the e-mail and on the submission itself. Your submission should include
the panel title and all three extended abstracts and word counts (no more
than 1250 words for each paper) in one document.  Each paper within the
panel should also have a preliminary bibliography.

*Workshops*

Keeping the theme of our conference in mind, we are committed to adapting
an Un-conference structure and interspersing a range of interpretive forms
of presentations, including but not limited to: yoga sessions, mediation
sessions, consciousness raising sessions, release, poetry readings, as well
as more traditionally formatted workshops, roundtables, and discussions.

*Accessibility Information*

*Transportation:  *

Lyft and Uber are both available in this area.

The estimated fare for a one-way trip via taxi from TPA to the conference
hotel is approximately $70 (including 15% gratuity). The estimated fare for
a one-way trip from PIE to the conference hotel is $35 (not including
gratuity). We strongly recommend banding together to ride share, which
typically works well.

Sheraton Sand Key Resort:

Hotel rooms: There are accessible rooms with the following features:

●     Roll-in shower

●     Portable tub seats

●     Portable communications kits containing visual alarms & notification
devices

●     Mobility-accessible doors with at least 32 inches of clear door width

●     TTY (Text Telephone Device)

●     Televisions with closed captioning

*Bathrooms: *

Wheelchair-accessible and gender-neutral bathrooms will be available.

*Hotel restaurants: *

There are three restaurants in the hotel as well as a poolside café and
bar. Here is a link to the page that describes these options:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.sheratonsandkey.com_dining_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=POdKAhVU0NR5DR5W2caRt-yEcMD1PPeXpnWIXgDxPrg&s=Q2YB0iKmhKCxU8ZzK-nepRqNZyaG27F-v2XTGLmCT5M&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com_-3Furl-3Dhttps-253A-252F-252Fwww.sheratonsandkey.com-252Fdining-252F-26data-3D02-257C01-257Ctempest.m.henning-2540vanderbilt.edu-257C5f71bcf5793b4e96a92e08d844761af6-257Cba5a7f39e3be4ab3b45067fa80faecad-257C0-257C0-257C637334621336082900-26sdata-3DuUSFFjRnp7EXK7QOUkHacxXFOz67BK9pgO-252BGRVv8Jww-253D-26reserved-3D0&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=Oo4TCJF8pXcsWPDC7Sy8bdP2IJ6ZbST0v2xdYtuNH80&m=POdKAhVU0NR5DR5W2caRt-yEcMD1PPeXpnWIXgDxPrg&s=T1K-JOmnIhKZDGg7feGvsB898porc-RJ4C8QsKxBgY0&e= >

The Island Grille, which offers sandwiches, salads, and soup, is the least
expensive of the hotel restaurants.

*Conference rooms/presentations: *

Lighting: There are LED bulbs in the conference rooms. It is important that
the lighting is not altered suddenly (light switches being turned on or
off) because this creates an unsafe environment for some conference
participants.

*PowerPoints:* Since projection makes presentations inaccessible for some
conference participants, we have decided that we will not use PowerPoint or
other means of presentation that require projection. In many cases, printed
handouts work just as well to convey main points.

*Papers:* Please have printed copies of your paper with 12 point and 18
point font available at the beginning of your presentation so audience
members can follow along if this is helpful to them. (In the past, it has
been possible to print papers at the hotel. I expect this will be the case
this year as well.)

*Please feel free to contact Shay Welch with any questions*

--
All my best,
Shay Welch