TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

April 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Cole Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:16:10 -0500
Really enjoyed these reflections, Joe. Thanks for sharing.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:01 PM Joseph Michalski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi folks. I'm not sure if I'm the only sociologist within the ToK Society
> listserv, but I'll weigh in with two issues: 1) distal vs. proximal causes;
> and 2) "explaining" vs. "excusing" behavior.
>
> On the first issue, I'm following up on Lene's distinction between
> childhood and adult issues. A major limitation in our sociological research
> revolves around the problem of studying behavior in "real time" and "over
> time." We rarely conduct the types of studies that would allow us to model
> human behavior over time and evaluate the "mechanisms" that produce
> different behavioral outcomes, whether at the individual or group level. We
> certainly do very little experimental research or RCTs. That said, it's not
> uncommon in sociology to conduct waves of surveys or retrospective
> interviews to assess childhood experiences. What comes out of these studies
> are suggestive correlations or the identification of "risk factors"
> associated with certain outcomes. Often the "outcomes" in question are
> "bad" things that happen or that people do (which speaks to the second
> issue that I'll get to in a few moments). Let me us a study of mine that I
> published in 2017 to illustrate.
>
> I interviewed two "matched" cohorts of males mostly in their early 20s: 1)
> 38 inmates who had been convicted of murder, attempted murder or violent
> robberies from Ontario; and 2) 66 university students of the same
> generation and raised in Ontario as well. The in-depth, retrospective
> interviews covered 4 time periods: 1) early childhood (< 6 years old); 2)
> transition to adolescence; 3) high school years; and 4) early adulthood.
> Long story short, the sample of convicted "violent offenders" were far more
> likely to have experienced "toxic childhood environments," defined as
> having been exposed to a minimum of 3 of the following 6 conditions:
>
> *Table 2: Parental Behaviors by Age Five for Inmates and Students*
>
> Parental Behaviors
>
> % Inmates
>
> (n = 38)
>
> % Students
>
> (n = 66)
>
> Daily drinking or alcoholism
>
> 57.9
>
> 45.5
>
> Drug use or addiction
>
> 44.7
>
> 6.1
>
> Criminal involvement
>
> 21.1
>
> 4.5
>
> Family violence/spousal conflict
>
> 76.3
>
> 16.7
>
> Child maltreatment
>
> 57.9
>
> 13.7
>
> Family instability
>
> 47.4
>
> 12.1
>

> In total, 30 of 38 inmates experienced at least 3 of the above conditions
> through age 5. Only 2 of the university students had experienced similar
> [...]
Cole Butler
TPAC Project Coordinator
University of Maryland
UMD ADHD Lab <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.umdadhd.org_cole&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=2n7ZCQQ6FY2dVo-8JOBpxo1W9QvQE1LlE6bTpBsZsTI&s=u_qdCrx3atIPjj0Xq9FxZ3hSn8MTsg5Qj9P4bJhvnd8&e=>
2103W, Cole Field House | College Park, MD 20742
tel 301.405.6163