TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2018 13:25:28 +0000
Hi ToKers,

I just saw this 2018 journal article last night which should be quite relevant to the ToK:

Speculations on the Evolutionary Origins of System Justification

ABSTRACT

For centuries, philosophers and social theorists have wondered why people submit voluntarily to tyrannical leaders andoppressive regimes. In this article, we speculate on the evolutionary origins of system justification, that is, the ways in whichpeople are motivated (often nonconsciously) to defend and justify existing social, economic, and political systems. After brieflyrecounting the logic of system justification theory and some of the most pertinent empirical evidence, we consider parallelsbetween the social behaviors of humans and other animals concerning the acceptance versus rejection of hierarchy and dominance. Next, we summarize research in human neuroscience suggesting that specific brain regions, such as the amygdala and theanterior cingulate cortex, may be linked to individual differences in ideological preferences concerning (in)equality and socialstability as well as the successful navigation of complex, hierarchical social systems. Finally, we consider some of the implications ofa system justification perspective for the study of evolutionary psychology, political behavior, and social change.

~ Jason Bessey