TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

December 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
James Lyons-Weiler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Dec 2020 20:38:13 -0500
I want to thank Gregg and everyone else who has helped keep my already
overflowing inbox
full.  It is reassuring to know there are minds are constant work on the
derivation/divination of
the significance, definition, and meaning of "us".

In the spirit of giving, I share this dual book review...
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.nybooks.com_articles_2021_01_14_changing-2Dpsychiatrys-2Dmind_-3Flp-5Ftxn-5Fid-3D1006010&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=wnIAvPJ9yl6pJshIaBDc8hsx619jjuvaBtdExvdNKFs&s=lYD4fHe5gl37452suZxBGyCXfUvaOdwsrwn11tNj0Og&e=

I'm trying to find the right way to describe the relationship it implies
between modern psychology and psychiatry.... forgive but an image of a
red-headed stepchild and an evil stepmother comes to mind...  you can guess
which area might be which....

I applaud everyone especially Gregg for ever-wanting to take psychology to
the next realm, or at least our understanding of it.  I'm keenly interested
in immunopsychiatry - with the specific meso-reductionist tweezers of
looking at the effects of cross-reactive antibodies influencing brain
development and neural patterns/long-distance relationships.

Probably in a multi-authored Edited book on Environmental Psychiatry and
Psychology - including studies of the effects of environmental toxins on
brain development and psychological disorders.

There is growing Lit on this - this paper reviews some key findings.  being
aware of the basis of inflammation and its causes in the CNS may help
explain a few things relevant to current rates and trends.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov_28418288_&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=wnIAvPJ9yl6pJshIaBDc8hsx619jjuvaBtdExvdNKFs&s=_C7UaC7hGrc_cp0_oHfLi9eCrQ0llMoHcZhU9Sp3nZk&e=

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,

James Lyons-Weiler