FEAST-L Archives

January 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:59:33 -0500
Scott Anderson's "Prostitution and Sexual Autonomy" (in *Ethics*), though
it ultimately defends an abolitionist position, gives what I think is a
clear, fair, and charitable account of the other side (which he calls the
"normalization" view).  I haven't used it in teaching, but my guess is
that students could handle it with significant guidance.

_____________________

Rebecca Whisnant
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Director of Women's and Gender Studies
University of Dayton

kmiriam <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
01/26/09 01:06 PM
Please respond to
kmiriam <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
pro-prostitution or anti-regulation articles

Hi

For about a sophmore/junior Ethics class I am doing a unit on
prostitution. I have the exchange between Carole Pateman and Lars
Ericcson(sp?) and other excellent, theoretically solid abolitionist
articles, so I would like to find something a bit more sophisticated than
Ericcson's libertarian defense, and from a "feminist" perspective that
argues against regulation, and/or for prostitution. I'm familiar with some
of the material, but none of it seems philosophical or well argued.

any suggestions? I want to introduce somewhat of a debate in the unit.

Remember it's a sophmore level class- so nothing too dense.

thanks in advance,
Kathy Miriam