TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2020

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
James Lyons-Weiler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2020 14:51:52 -0400
Thank you. I'm writing a treatise on this inspired by our discussions that
is a little mind-blowing.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:48 PM Bradley H. Werrell, D.O. <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> future TOK Community meeting.
>

> So, short answer is, yes, I agree it is crucial to have the lens, and it
> is also the case that it needs to be qualified by considerations that I
> generally find evolutionary biologists to be blind to. For example, Bret
> Weinstein, god love him, way over shoots in his analysis of the extend to
> which you can apply straight forward evolutionary biological thinking to
> things like religion. Once you get the JUST frame right, then you can see
> why analyses like his are, well, profoundly incomplete.
>
> For a few essays on evolutionary psychology, see here:
>
> First, on why, from a UTOK perspective, evo psych comes up short:
>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201310_ep-2Dis-2Dnot-2Dviable-2Dintegrative-2Dmeta-2Dtheory&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=zISVxfZfm_nc3Oux8CwjikRA_CU5v5N1yr35aZGK-4M&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201310_ep-2Dis-2Dnot-2Dviable-2Dintegrative-2Dmeta-2Dtheory&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=EAKsDwUYpPwFHnnc_fuGs08K9YDw9VM53f6-h7dwxb0&s=IsYUJOHIQE0sKFSNLW47nVdX6qgWbAj7Jsn9N5zK9yg&e=>
>

> a critique of my critique:
>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_pop-2Dpsych_201310_evolutionary-2Dpsychology-2Dtying-2Dpsychology-2Dtogether&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=fWJm3Vugqt6vnw0uloSXc5Y_WqC3JbJsGWmJ8NgnhkE&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_pop-2Dpsych_201310_evolutionary-2Dpsychology-2Dtying-2Dpsychology-2Dtogether&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=EAKsDwUYpPwFHnnc_fuGs08K9YDw9VM53f6-h7dwxb0&s=2hvuEvwlQklq0796MXr7iDHdzzOnG93vF14kCyWkCBk&e=>
>

> and my critique of that:
>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201310_rhetoric-2Ddebate-2Dand-2Ddialogue-2Dabout-2Dep&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=Izo664KZriYjFB8Wx5hWQzcPcRhxah_NwhK6Dpy0Anc&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201310_rhetoric-2Ddebate-2Dand-2Ddialogue-2Dabout-2Dep&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=EAKsDwUYpPwFHnnc_fuGs08K9YDw9VM53f6-h7dwxb0&s=joTLV5q7Oaxr22sNQRsP_kiSy9sJgKxpPCdKROK_3UU&e=>

---
james lyons-weiler, phd
Author, CEO, President, Scientist
Editor-in-Chief, Science, Public Health Policy, and the Law
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.publichealthpolicyjournal.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=LMab95YMd02BTADLoD95raoq8669l1Wuv4xeWRAhv4s&e= >
Guest Contributor, Children's Health Defense
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__childrenshealthdefense.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=7JNgFGyG3jJ6CfkcMBI5szghQ5Fzg9xvXj4QCoXBNz4&e= >

The Environmental and Genetic Causes of Autism <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__amzn.to_1KNSxPp&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=bry_QVBv49D1OoWNFMfUHCKYqeEcuwBma9e5GGl9CiE&e= >
(Skyhorse Publishing)
Cures vs. Profits: Successes in Translational Research
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.amazon.com_gp_product_9814730149_ref-3Das-5Fli-5Fqf-5Fsp-5Fasin-5Fil-5Ftl-3Fie-3DUTF8-26camp-3D1789-26creative-3D9325-26creativeASIN-3D9814730149-26linkCode-3Das2-26tag-3Dlivgrelivwel-2D20&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=aeST6O7rAMxM8mT3o5Po7eT2sFof6fgxzZ-LGi8VqO0&e= >
(World
Scientific, 2016)
Ebola: An Evolving Story <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__amzn.to_1TGYY9r&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=OK_3NYJPpX4m6Haw8eu6cRk8OJFYd_xDGy4lXwqicWw&e= > (World Scientific, 2015)
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_jameslyonsweiler&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=eSz18KulCYitVgOyiZr64lLGIlkXEBykoveJT4zPlJ0&s=6EbYjMdORVRwAGaHIXHuBoWn1Ei5QO5wqsUU7WG5GJ4&e= >